Protective Orders

Do I need an attorney?

If you are seeking a protective order from an abuser you need an attorney. Under most circumstances you may seek representation from your County or District Attorney. By statute they are empowered to seek protective orders on behalf of persons who at risk. In Bowie and Cass counties this responsibility is handled by Domestic Violence, Inc. These offices usually have a set criteria that must be met before they will assist someone obtain a protective order. Sometimes these criteria do not cover all situations. You may hire an attorney to assist you in obtaining a protective order.

If you have been served with a protective order, you should consult an attorney immediately. Under current Texas law there are rather serious consequences to having a court enter a protective order against you. These consequences can include, your right to own or possess a firearm and hunt, to affecting your rights to visitation with children. Even if you plan on agreeing to the protective order, you should consult with an attorney to fully understand the requirements of a protective order.

Back to My Practice